• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - EVO Japan 2024: You Ain't From Chicago If You Ain't Broken exA Before!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:08 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
It's normal for texts to have multiple translations, there are seven different translations for Les Misèrables alone.!

Don’t be a cheapskate and read the Wilbour just because it’s public domain. I’m reading Julie Rose’s aggressively modernized translation and it’s great. Some people think she went too far and prefer the more recent Christine Donoughur or the Norman Denny from the 1970s.
WoodDude

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:36 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
I think there's a big gulf between a vocal fanbase championing a single game in a series to the point of excluding any other game in the series or even in other series, and folks who have adopted a character as a part of their gender identity. People headcanoning Vivian as trans aren't hurting anyone. Paper Mario fans turning their noses up at four other Paper Mario games and four Mario & Luigi games... that's a lot of hate from so-called fans.

If people kept it to their own headcanon it'd be one thing but when you get people replying to your tweet to yell at you for misgendering a character then it does get hostile and toxic as well. I assume you meant the same for Thousand Year Door fans who go out of their way to bother people about how the stuff they like is bad rather than just quietly like it for themselves. Good fans VS bad fans.

FinalVentCard wrote:
Also, I'm gonna need you to not refer to a changed script as "censorship", because words have meaning. A differing script doesn't mean anything has been censored, it just means they decided to translate something differently. The DS Chrono Trigger port isn't "censored" because Chrono's mom doesn't say "Good morning, Chrono!" anymore or Yakran doesn't shout "Yes, indeed!" when they do special attacks. It's normal for texts to have multiple translations, there are seven different translations for Les Misèrables alone.

Sorry, to clarify by censorship I mean the removed stuff we know so far like the dead Toad chalk outline, Peeka's bunny suit outfit, and Mario's one armed salute. The stuff that was originally removed in the English and European versions of the Gamecube version and appear to also be removed even in the Japanese version this time around for the remake so it's all a singular universal version that they don't have to worry about making any changes for international markets anymore like before. That's probably why they changed Vivian as well so they don't have to worry about her in other translations again. I'm not sure if Japan gets to keep the alcohol references or it's changed to cola there too though since I've yet to see any scenes of it.

Although your example of "Yes, indeed" is actually good because that was a mistranslation originally so changing it for the more accurate DS version was a good call in that case. Just like they removed the silly Bruce Lee reference in Super Mario RPG in the new English translation for the Switch remake since that was a random add-in for the SNES translation that wasn't in the Japanese script. I'm all for more accurate translations and it looks like the new script so far is more accurate overall. I know some people complain about the lines from their childhood not being there though but I prefer accuracy over nostalgia myself.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 9:50 pm Reply with quote
WoodDude wrote:
Sorry, to clarify by censorship I mean the removed stuff we know so far like the dead Toad chalk outline, Peeka's bunny suit outfit, and Mario's one armed salute. The stuff that was originally removed in the English and European versions of the Gamecube version and appear to also be removed even in the Japanese version this time around for the remake so it's all a singular universal version that they don't have to worry about making any changes for international markets anymore like before. That's probably why they changed Vivian as well so they don't have to worry about her in other translations again. I'm not sure if Japan gets to keep the alcohol references or it's changed to cola there too though since I've yet to see any scenes of it.

Although your example of "Yes, indeed" is actually good because that was a mistranslation originally so changing it for the more accurate DS version was a good call in that case. Just like they removed the silly Bruce Lee reference in Super Mario RPG in the new English translation for the Switch remake since that was a random add-in for the SNES translation that wasn't in the Japanese script. I'm all for more accurate translations and it looks like the new script so far is more accurate overall. I know some people complain about the lines from their childhood not being there though but I prefer accuracy over nostalgia myself.

Look, I'm gonna be honest, Chief: even with visual details like the Toad's outline in chalk, I ain't calling that "censorship" even if you pointed a loaded gun at my head. The dialogue around any kind of localization or translation has been rendered exceedingly hyperbolic and venomous--and it really is just video games and anime/manga. It's one thing when a company's internal standards and practices or the local ratings board dictates that certain content is inappropriate if you're aiming at a certain age rating (which is a major factor--people don't seem to understand just how different PEGI/the ESRB/CERO can be), and it's another when the actual government is stepping in and dictating what kind of stuff is appropriate. Gamers wish they lived through the era of the Video Nasties or the era where possessing a flag was grounds for arrest (owning a Puerto Rican flag used to be a crime back home). If you disagree with how a company decides to handle it's own product, fine, but that's ultimately their decision to make.

Like I said in my column: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door comes out on the 23rd. Buy it, or don't.

Moderator's Note: Watch out for rule 5, and try to keep an eye on formatting when quoting long posts, please.
Elthion22

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:31 pm Reply with quote
That's really exciting that Memoria Freese is getting its cutscenes archived. In addition, to several original stories written by the original author of the light novels that are now being adapted into novel form, the mobile game also had fully voice acted versions of the first 11 novels, including all the content cut from seasons 2 and 3 of the anime, making it a much more complete adaptation than the anime for that content. It also has fully voiced versions of 12 volumes of the Sword Oratoria spin off series, of which the anime only covered the first 4 volumes, making it a definitive way to experience those stories.
Finally, the crossover stories as mentioned in the article, have some really neat character interactions, my personal favorite is the Attack on Titan crossover where Welf meets Reiner, who are voiced by the same VA, and we get some interesting character insights from each of them and how they contrast with each other.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:50 am Reply with quote
Elthion22 wrote:
That's really exciting that Memoria Freese is getting its cutscenes archived. In addition, to several original stories written by the original author of the light novels that are now being adapted into novel form, the mobile game also had fully voice acted versions of the first 11 novels, including all the content cut from seasons 2 and 3 of the anime, making it a much more complete adaptation than the anime for that content. It also has fully voiced versions of 12 volumes of the Sword Oratoria spin off series, of which the anime only covered the first 4 volumes, making it a definitive way to experience those stories.
Finally, the crossover stories as mentioned in the article, have some really neat character interactions, my personal favorite is the Attack on Titan crossover where Welf meets Reiner, who are voiced by the same VA, and we get some interesting character insights from each of them and how they contrast with each other.

I was already of the basis that the mobile game was worthy of archival purely on the merit that the in-game story existed and that folks that had invested in the game in any capacity (be it their time or their actual money) deserved some kind of way to be able to continue to enjoy the story after the game was shuttered. I had no idea it was valued so highly as an adaptation of the source material, let alone that it added so much to the series. In that case, yeah, all the more reason to make a memorial version of the app. That kind of thing is seriously important to a series.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, I never thought I'd see Money Puzzle Exchanger get brought up in these game news columns. That game has long been a favorite of mine. It's basically Magical Drop, but more interesting IMO since you've got more to think about than matching colors. Very satisfying to get a good chain going in MPE (just like in Puyo Puyo). The magical girl parody flavoring also adds to its charm. Glad to see people are still playing it, at least in Japan.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 6:17 am Reply with quote
The only thing I really have to add to the Paper Mario thing is that I’m always surprised that people talk about the gameplay as if it’s the most in-depth quasi turn-based thing ever. While I could be wrong since it’s been a while, I remember getting that baby sun thing in the first game and just face-rolling every encounter by holding a button. There was maybe one fight I did after I got the thing where it didn’t work (was it the last boss?), but it really isn’t that involved, or at least not as involved that the value of the experimental direction of the other games needs to be constantly dunked on. Origami King at least involved me thinking about what to do for more than 5 seconds (in fact, it’s the only combat in the series I remember where I found any kind of pushback during a general encounter since it seems like you actually have to know what you’re doing).

I’m there for the paper aesthetics and paper jokes, which the game series always delivers.

I understand that people like things a certain way, and they are free to prefer that certain packaging in the gameplay which I found mid at best considering your other options in video games at large for turn-based gameplay, but stop hating and go touch grass or something.

Also, my gameplay from 90FPS Dragon’s Dogma to cinematic FPS Dragon’s Dogma 2 on the PS5 didn’t change much despite having less responsiveness. I adapted and still played like degenerate:

https://youtu.be/5H17CBhI4Ew?si=kq44ywPOZy7q1Iib

You’re not doing 1-frame links in Paper Mario or whatever.

That said, I do prefer baseline 60 FPS when possible, or at least the option to have something close to it, which is cool in stuff like Rise of the Ronin or Final Fantasy 7 remake. I’m at a point where I hope we stop moving the “quality” slider to the right and straining the hardware we’re currently on since art direction is enough to carry the visual experience a lot of the time, so you might as well have a smooth-feeling experience since I’m not sure how much better a lot of these games can look, especially when a lot of the actual animations are still jank and outsourced looking in higher end productions for most of the experience outside of key setpieces.

Also, I do need to talk about Endless Ocean since it’s likely going to disappear under “the discourse” even though it’s probably one of the most interesting games coming out this year.

This game might actually be one of the greatest games about finding a needle in a haystack with online randos ever created.

What surprised me the most is that the gameplay is involved enough that there’s a “meta” way of playing it, which I found amusing since, on its face, you’re just swimming around and looking at fish (finally: modern 3D diving mechanics where my character doesn’t control like a damn shopping cart… I now know why I never want to go into the water in other games).

I actually had to sit there for a few hours to figure out what the hell was even going on, which is wild to me since it means the game isn’t actually very straightforward and you have to actually learn.

The first big thing that people need to understand is how scanning works: it initially seems like you need to hold down the button to accomplish what the game wants you to accomplish, but all you need to actually do is “shoot” unscanned blue fish and this can be done by mashing the button and putting the reticle vaguely over fish within range. This is kind of explained in the story mode tutorial, but not really. What the bar actually indicates is the maximum amount of time you can scan things, so try to shoot as many fish as possible during that time.

Once you collect a fish’s soul, you don’t have to do it again, so you’re only interested in fish that are still blue looking since it means they are unscanned. You don’t even really need to go into the analysis queue and can just mash out of scan mode to keep swimming.

The next thing is how the analysis function of the scan works. When you scan things, the fish are put in a certain order in your analysis queue. From what I can tell, it’s the fish you initially scanned first, then unknown fish, then fish with special traits like size, then everything else.

You hover over unknown fish in the queue to add them to your fish-o-pedia thing. You can listen to the AI voice drone on about them later in the main menu since you don’t want to do this during a group dive since you need to get to exploring quickly as you only have an hour to do everything you want to do.

“Everything you want to do” in a group dive, which is online gameplay with others, generally boils down to getting 100% of the map explored and finding that map’s “boss” fish. I’ve managed to be put in a room where we got 100% of the fish scanned, but this one is actually a bit hard to do consistently (and 100% doesn’t mean 100%… it seems like you don’t need to “shoot” every single fish in the area to get this achievement and you can even get more than 100% fish scanned).

The map functionality itself needs to be understood. You start out with a blank map. As you and other players explore, pixels get revealed. Your pixels are more blue or something than other players’ pixels, so you have an idea of what you have explored and what they have explored, so you can just focus on going to unexplored pixels. I know it’s cool and immersive to be around other players, but don’t follow them around since it’s normally a waste of time unless you’re trying to find the fish bosses (more on this later).

At 80% map discovery, the entire map gets revealed. Aside from bonus points from the objective, this makes finding the mini fish bosses and fish bosses easier to find whenever the opportunity arises since they are marked on the map with orange circles and you can only see the orange circles on discovered pixels on the map.

Activating mini fish bosses involves finding one first. This is done by swimming around and finding the fish when your reticle begins flashing red and your controller vibrates.

This one is a bit annoying because the mini fish bosses are not sorted in your analysis queue in a convenient way and you actually have to scroll the entire queue to find the thing, which is highlighted by an orange dot. You’ll know to actually scroll the entire queue to look for the mini boss fish during the point where your controller is vibrating the hardest, so you don’t have to waste your time otherwise.

From there, a mission starts where you have to find several mini fish bosses, but it’s easier now since they will be orange circles on your map and, assuming you discovered most of the map, this will make searching go by quickly. This is the point at which where you want to teleport to other players you have met with the hopes that they are close to the objectives and you can unlock the main fish boss quickly. Trust me: several pairs of eyes are better than one pair since this is full 3D movement and you’re actually looking up and down quite a bit to find anything.

Conveniently, the areas of search indicated by the circles on your map contract as players find more mini fish bosses.

When the boss fish unlocks, it shows up as a very large orange circle on the map. From there, everyone just rushes to the site to try to scan the thing before it swims off and disappears.

HOPEFULLY, the person that finds it first actually tags it since the circle indicator for it on the map disappears once it has been scanned. If it’s tagged, in addition to showing up on met players’ maps that you can view from the map menu, it can show up on your aim reticle if you scan somewhere near it, so other players get the opportunity to add it to their fish-o-pedia thing.

Tagging in general is really useful and immersive since you can show people where treasure is or highlight important fish, like the boss fish, for people to see since the tag moves on the map along with the fish.

I think that more or less covers the general game flow of a dive. You can get the code for the area you were just in and explore solo, but I’m not too interested in doing that since the experience with the randoms is really interesting. There was one stage where the fish boss area was walled off and it took several of us swimming around trying to find the entrance. Once someone found a way in, people just teleported to them to have access to the fish boss.

Stuff like that is really cool and you do feel a camaraderie with all the faceless people you meet.

If people are vaguely interested, they should go in. It’s actually just a horde shooter where you scan all the fish instead of killing them. The 3D movement aspect is probably what makes it really interesting since you’re searching up and down instead of just left and right.

Cozy, but also has actual game mechanics to learn.

Last edited by DKL on Sun May 05, 2024 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 6:23 am Reply with quote
Ok so the deal with Exa is that its like if a new neogeo was made to sell to arcades the rule it has is that games on it must have an exclusive new mode or content to sell arcades on it. The issue is that this is aimed at colectors more then anyone else(the founder being one) and they jumped at mame for including games that they got the rights to(games from 2011 and 2016). There is hope for chaos breaker as the dev wants to port it to consoles at some point that the lowdown. Most the new modes are done in house and just rom hackish like new scoreing or modes and none of them have seen home ver.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Final Fantasy XVI didn't sell to SE's expectations.

Just a quick note, but this isn't quite correct. It did sell to expectations, just on low end of them.

As for the restructuring in general, I'm pretty bum about it since SE's AA releases were some of my favorite games of the last 3-4 years. They are also one of the few (if not only) major publishers willing to take risks on new mid-budget experimental IPs. That said there is some hope in Visions of Mana, as wasn't one of the things that got canned. It might be a sign of where they plan to go with their AA output in the future: in that this just reduction of it and not necessary an abandonment.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Quote:
Final Fantasy XVI didn't sell to SE's expectations.

Just a quick note, but this isn't quite correct. It did sell to expectations, just on low end of them.

This is good to know. The amount of bustass you could put out in this game was awesome. Secretly one of the better character action games to come out:

https://youtu.be/X3X-eUAlzm0?si=qPJh2rXmHzTjdqiG

You could spend so much time in training mode trying to do cool stuff.
Wack Sage

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
As for the restructuring in general, I'm pretty bum about it since SE's AA releases were some of my favorite games of the last 3-4 years. They are also one of the few (if not only) major publishers willing to take risks on new mid-budget experimental IPs. That said there is some hope in Visions of Mana, as wasn't one of the things that got canned. It might be a sign of where they plan to go with their AA output in the future: in that this just reduction of it and not necessary an abandonment.

It sucks because I only like the non-AAA Square-Enix titles these days. Don't have any interest in FF7 Rebirth or XVI. I'm looking forward to the Dragon Quest 3 remake since the Star Ocean The Second Story remake was amazing so I hope it's as good. Vision of Mana looks good.

It's not Japanese related but I'm one of the people replaying Fallout 4 due to the recent hype from the TV show. That was probably the last AAA game I really enjoyed. The AAA industry in general just seems uninteresting to me now these days.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, as an update, the leaderboards running from release date to 5/5 have updated in Endless Ocean and I’m averaging at around 3,000th place in all categories at maybe 8-10 hours of gameplay.

Ranking seems to largely correlate with play time based on what I’m seeing, but what this maybe hopefully means is that there’s actually at least 3,000 people that sat there and no-lifed the game over the weekend for more than 8-10 hours, assuming my 150k-200k point average per dive is representative of someone that vaguely knows what they’re doing (I apparently need to collect more light orbs when I see them based on my review of where I’m lowest in terms of points, but I’m always focused on revealing map pixels and beating other people to the strange fish scans since it’s secretly where you get to be toxic).

It seems like there’s an unusually large amount of people grinding, so I’m hoping this means the game is actually doing OK in terms of sales despite being this really weird game that doesn’t really explain what it’s about. In light of Square kinda exploding their AA games, it’d be cool if Nintendo is actually able to make releases like this viable inbetween their big stuff.

Of course this could be wishful thinking.

This game is really interesting to me because it’s showing me that it’s not actually necessary to harm things to actively have pretty good shooting and movement mechanics, so I hope it finds its audience. The perfect game to play before falling asleep.
juaifan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Endless Blue: Luminous looks like a very niche game made for a very niche crowd. I can understand why it might not being received well or all that popular.

I'm looking forward to Paper Mario and am wondering which of the two Mario RPGs will do better in the end between Thousand Year Door and Legend of the Seven Stars. I wonder if the victor will influence what Nintendo does with Mario RPGs in the future. RIP to the Mario and Luigi series though. Bowser's Inside Story was a gem. Did not care for the remakes though I blame them for the studio shutting down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2